Thursday, April 3, 2014

Value Self Portrait

Purpose:

  • To determine where values change when light moves over an uneven surface by using a range of gray values to paint the different values in a realistic self-portrait;

  • To become familiar with the structure of the face by painting a realistic self-portrait.
  • To effectively communicate an image that looks like you through careful examination of the values of your face

Artists Studied: 
Jennifer Levonian, Martha Mayer Erlebacher, Lucy Fradkin, Anne Harris, and Carolyn Schlam

Portrait Reflection:

I am very proud of my irises.  When I first did it they looked really scary and then I went back and by adding some light reflection I really made myself look more lively.  Also, I went back and defined them more which really helped.  I am also proud of how my beard looks, it is the darkest color and matches part of my hair.  I think it gives my portrait a unique look and a kind of continuity throughout the painting.
I think the best feedback I got was define my features more.  My eyes and my hand specifically were not well defined.  I added multiple values to my finger/hand and I think that helped a lot.  Then, I went back and completely redid my eyes and as I have mentioned, greatly improved them.  Giving feedback helped because I realized that when you’re doing your painting you know what you are trying to do and that gives you a prejudice for what it actually comes out as.  It gave me a fresh new look at my painting and made me realize that some of the things I tried didn’t work out how I wanted them to, like some values on my nose for example.


No comments:

Post a Comment