Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sketchbook, Notan: Positive & Negative Space Design

Purpose:

  • Use positive and negative space in an interesting way.

  • Understand and use elements of art: shape & space (positive and negative).

  • Understand and use principles of art: contrast & balance (symmetry and asymmetry).


Culture/Concept Studied: Japanese concept of Notan

I learned that I should use more space because it will look better.  I did not use all the space at my disposal with my second piece even though it was a very creative idea and I am much more proud of it than this one that I made in five minutes.  I also learned that people see each art work differently.  When I look at this I don't really get any feeling or inspiration from it.  When I look at my other one I see faces that represent emotions and moods but when other people see it it might look "very weak" to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment